11 January 2012

Real fibers found in nature (or how much I want to own a sheep)

So I took my first knitting class at Millicent Yarns in Cumberland. WOW! Is what I have to say about the shop. It's amazing! There are so many yarns there to choose from and so many colors, you could spend all day in there! The ladies are also SUPER NICE and very helpful.
So, even tho I am not new to knitting as I have already made a cardigan for Steve, a sweater for me and Mom and a mini shopping tote, I decided to take the intro class so learn things "properly."
I have learned 2 things already.
1. Real fibers are far superior than man-made fibers. I am using a mix of 85% lambs wool and 15% Mohair. It's making my stitches so even and lovely.
2. I learned a new way to cast on. And it's easy and even!
My sweater and Steve's cardigan were made from man-made fibers. They are funky and not in that Wild Cherry way. They pill up and get all frayed.
I made that tote out of recycled cotton and I noticed a difference then too, as it was smoother to use. This lambs wool is AWESOME!!!!!
I am very excited to make a sweater from a natural fiber. I will finish this scarf and then I will work on a sweater. WOOO!
The lady teaching the class is fabulous. She is also a cyclist! WOOOO!
I am very excited to be able to ride my bike down there this spring. They have 2 days a week that you can just come in and knit with the other women during an open knitting time. I didn't realise we had anything like this at all in Allgany County! It's so nifty!
I read about a shop like this in one of my mystery novels. When I was reading it I thought, "Geez, I wish we had something like this around" and we do!
Sometimes my powers scare me. LOL!
The teacher of the class, whom I shall call J, asked if we were animal lovers. (we being me and the other lady in the class.) She said that she has found most people who knit also have animals. I told them my little dream of self-sufficency where I grow all my own veggies, ride my bike everywhere, we have solar panels, a wind turbine and a sheep. Then the sheep eats the grass, so I don't have to cut it ever again, and then I get wool from her. I spin the wool every year and make sweaters to keep warm all winter. WOOOOOO!
Yes, I am the modern answer of a Hippy. :)

Ahhh, what a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All input is welcome, although as the SUPREME CREATOR of this blog I may veto some comments. Have a FABULOUS day!