01 January 2010

Avatar

OMG! This is a MUST SEE movie. AND it's a MUST SEE in 3D.
James Cameron does it again. I know people keep saying Dancing with Smurfs, but this is soooo not accurate.
This movie may have a familiar storyline but in James Cameron's quite able hands, it is new and touching and thrilling and beautiful beyond imagination.
Pandora is a fully realised planet and there is no detail missed in creating this amazing home world of the Na'vi. AND THE NA'VI! OMG! They are amazing and gorgeous and words actual escape me at this moment.
The touches that Cameron adds, the glowing plants, the clouds, the animals everything works. You BELIEVE.
The "bad guys" are real bad guys. Not evil and vengful but doing a job to the point of not having a conscience. Of course, the "Paul Riser" character (ie: Aliens) actual HAS a conscience and is bothered by it.
Stephen Lang is a very good heavy. Now, granted he always has been a good heavy but here, he gets to really put it on without going over the top.
Sam Worthington is really good. When I reviewed Terminator the other day I said I would wait to comment on Sam Worthington and now I am ready to say that I DO believe he is a very good actor. He was able to star in this movie and be a star in this movie.
His Jake Sully character is well drawn and realistic. I like the way he is dismissed as a grunt, even tho his brother had a PHD.
I like the way he bounds through the brush on Pandora like a large unruly animal and as time progresses he is lithe and capable. Granted, this version of him is advanced CGI/Motion Capture but Sam Worthington is ACTUALLY acting the scenes for the Motion Capture.
Zoe Saldana is great. Sigourny Weaver is fantastic, as always. She is COMPLETELY on form here. Everyone is very very good in this film.
James Cameron waited, from what I understand from interviews, for the technology to catch up. Well, BRAVO, Sir! This film is amazing.
We get a voice over narration from Sully from the very beginning that slowly morphs seemlessly into a video log and then into being in his head.
You feel for the Na'vi and I actually cried during scenes. I DID! Really!
It had great humor as well as thrills.
Michelle Rodriguez is great, Joel Moore is great, everybody is just great!
I know I sound like an idiot here, but I haven't enjoyed a movie to this extent since I watched Titanic! yes, I know! Another Cameron flick. BUT As the credits were rolling on Titanic I KNEW I would have to see that movie again.
And as the credits were rolling on Avatar, I KNEW I would have to see it again.
It was awesome!

5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All input is welcome, although as the SUPREME CREATOR of this blog I may veto some comments. Have a FABULOUS day!