08 January 2010

The CW, or should we call it Ghost of Popular shows past.

Okay, so I saw something when I was reading the tragic news of some Plaboy Playmate being burned to death in Miami. I saw 90210.
HEY! I know that zip code. It's actually the ONLY other zip code that I know where it is that is not in Maryland. :) COOL. But, wait a minute, this isn't the old Beverly Hills 90210 show in syndecation... it's some NEW show. If you could see the look on my face, like I jsut tasted something so horrid that I want to spit it out like NOW!
COME ON!!!! You know, I am getting so sick of this "Hey the formula makes money, let's keep doing it"
It's not the angst ridden 90's. This is the new millenium! The decades of the NAUGHTS is over. We are moving into the teens! THAT DOESN'T MEAN WE NEED STUPID TEEN SHOWS!!! GAH!
I do not know how this show is working. 90210 worked because we were just out of the 80's. The decade of I HAVE and YOU HAVE NOT but I DON'T CARE because I HAVE.
We believed these kids since we knew some of their parents who HIT IT BIG in the
80's. We also hadn't really seen anything like it before.
It was a PRIME TIME soap opera that wasn't about an Oil Barron or about adults.
We also watched (although not me) Melrose Place, to see the 20-somethings being rich and angsty and sleeping with everyone.
How does a new version of 90210 and Melrose Place play out in this day and age? Are they suffering from the recession?
Have they lost their home?
Thier jobs?
Are they sitting in their parents basement watching basic cable?
Somehow I think not.
I bet they even drive fancy cars and speed all over not caring about gas costing $3.29 a gallon.
Hmmmm. Are kids watching this shit?

I have to guess yes, since I notice that 90210 is on it's second season.
I understand that the CW is not a channel for women of my advancing years (or brain power) so I am not the target audience. BUT Annie is the target audience. Having not watched the show, I cannot comment on it's social conscience or whatnot, but I am willing to bet the underlying theme is, "We are great but no one realises this yet so we better MAKE them!"

Recently I sat in Avatar for the second time with my kids and I thought, "You know, my generation is the LAST generation to REALLY UNDERSTAND why this film making technique is so amazing."
It's true. We (me, Linda, Steve, Rick, people of more than 3 decades) remember watching the ultimate in special effects - TRON - and thinking WOW!
How about Clash of the Titans? WOAH! That stop motion is awesome!!!!
LOL! How about An American Werewolf in London? I have talked about these special FX for EVER! He changes into a werewolf IN THE LIGHT!!!!!!! We see it! Actually see it!!!!
Now, that is archaic!
James Cameron has created this amazing motion capture filming technique. It will change things FOREVER.
My kids will be entertained without even realizing they are being amazed and that when their mother was young she would NEVER have been able to see something like this.
Sigh.
This all connects to this "new" 90210.
Todays kids simply expect. They expect wealth. Even tho most of their parents don't have it.
They expect great cars to drive. (even when we drive used cars or work our asses off for new ones)
They simply expect things to work for them.
I would like to think that our kids would be more tolerant and understanding than us. However, I am hearing things that make me think they are far more intollerant and don't want to understand.
I would like to blame George Bush, but I have to blame us. George simply used fear as his motivator, we all just allowed it.
:(

No comments:

Post a Comment

All input is welcome, although as the SUPREME CREATOR of this blog I may veto some comments. Have a FABULOUS day!