30 December 2009

Terminator Salvation

Come with me, if you want to be entertained but still have some questions about time travel that seem to be ignored.
Or how about, I'll be back?
Terminator Salvation is the 4th installment in the lucrative franchise. Rated PG-13 this is the first Terminator movie that doesn't have the rough language of the previous 3 and it is obvious. No spurting blood shots or F-Bombs. Now, I know I complained about the blood in Inglorious Basterds, but this movie, however, SHOULD have SOME blood.
Now, being an avid user of the F-Word (and I am not talking about Gordon Ramsey here) I appriciate it's usage in an action movie. I feel that the PG-13 rating has turned a possible gritty action film into a lukewarm trip through the future of Valium.
Sam Worthington is getting a lot of attention lately. I hear he is really good in Avatar, I will let you know what I think after tomorrow, since that is when I am going to see it. I watched him in Rogue, a little action film from Austrailia and he was ok.
He was ok in Terminator as well. Well, maybe a little more than ok. He was OK. LOL! He isn't a top actor in my book but I did like him in this movie.
Christian Bale I love. However, his version of John Conor is just meh! I think my favourite John Conor is Edward Furlong. I didn't really like Nick Stalh's version. Christian Bale kinda comes at the role from a big-headed place. "My mommy told me I am the leader of the resistance so I am super important and even if these people don't get it, I'm going to act like it anyway."
YAWN.

SPOILER ALERT FROM THIS POINT ON!!!!!!

I was not impressed nor moved by the woman who is fighting alongside John Conor to erradicate all the Terminators but falls in love with one. "I see a man" PA-LEEZE. Is it that hard to get laid in the appocalyptic future?
Steve had a realy problem with the whiteness of the peoples teeth. I noticed it, but wasn't too bothered. I understand that Hollywood likes to be realistic but not with pretty ladies. Whatever!
I did not like the way that Sky Net learned about Kyle Reese. I felt that that was a fatal flaw in the script.
What script writers and Hollywood Producers need to remember, even tho a franchise has MASSIVE $$$$ LEGS, the fans still pay attention to the storyline. (Unless of course, you are a Transformers fan! Then all you want is loud music and PG-13 tits.)
Kyle goes back in time because John Conor sends him. Kyle and Linda Hamilton have sex and she gets pregnant with John Conor. OOOHHHHHH time travel!
We never even see John put Kyle in the "return to 1984" machine.
That I felt was a terrible miss. I DO NOT want to see another Terminator film. Couldn't we have sent Reese back in time then destroyed Sky Net?
Sigh.
However, all that being said, Anton Yelchin did a VERY GOOD job of being the young Kyle Reese. I could see him being Reese as a teen.
ALSO, big kudos to the writers for Christian Bale's line "I'll be back" when Ron Howards daughter asked what to tell his men when they discover he's gone.
Now, Bale... I like this actor. Unfortunately he is still in Batman mode while filming this movie. There are too many Batman-esque whispers and looks.
I know that Bale has LOADS more in that acting bag of his than this. He was AMAZING in Velvet Goldmine and BRILLIANT in The Machinist, so I know he is able to DO IT.

Terminator Salvation was entertaining enough but it was like eating a bowl of rice, it filled me up but an hour later I wanted another film.

2 stars out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

All input is welcome, although as the SUPREME CREATOR of this blog I may veto some comments. Have a FABULOUS day!