30 December 2009

Only Fools and Horses

TV Review

I have been watching lately the old BBC TV Series Only Fools and Horses, starring David Jason and Nicholas Lyndhurst. This is a TOP NOTCH comedy. The writer, the only writer from start to finish, John Sullivan does a BRILLIANT job of writing the funny and mixing it flawlessly with the serious and sometimes tragic.
The series is about the exploits of Derek "Del-Boy" Trotter and his kid brother, Rodney who live with their Grandfather on a Housing Estate in Peckham, England. Del-Boy is a trader, who finds things that have "fallen off trucks" etc to sell in the market. They have ups and downs and mostly are skint but the hilarious activities and hijinks are most entertaining.
From Del's VERY BAD French phrases; "Poppouri!" "Fromage Frai!" "Bonjour (when saying goodbye)" and so many more, said with great sincerity are so funny I find myself using them with Steve. One of the best is his "no way Pedro!" Steve has used that one for yonks!
Every one of the shows is good. We have just finished Season 5 and there are 9 seasons, although some of the seasons to come are not FULL seasons but just specials.
These are VERY enjoyable and quite funny. I am actualy laughing out loud for most of these shows. I find myself singing the song as well while I am at work...
"put a pony in your pocket, I'll get the suitcase from the van..."
There is only ONE other tv show whose theme song I like better, and that is Doctor Who.
(Of course, I do find myself singing the Love Boats theme song, but that is more of a painful habit than love.)
As the seasons go on, Uncle Albert comes to live with the Trotter boys. He is also funny, telling his tales of the sea and all the ships he served on that sunk! LOL! But he NEVER talks about his time in the service, except all the time!
The supporting players are very well drawn as well. Trigger is amusing as Del's mate who continuously calls Rodney DAVE. Denzel is funny, played by Paul Barber from the Full Monty. Bosey and Marlene are the "better off" married couple who are unable to have a baby so they have a Great Dane. The Season 5 first episode brings along a young pregnant woman who wants to give up her baby for adoption. Del sees $$$ signs (well Pound signs) and when he goes to visit Bosey and Marlene, I have NEVER laughed so hard as the scene with Rodney "playing" with Dukey! LOL! I am giggling now thinking about it.
There are MANY MANY gems in this series.
I strongly reccommend seeing it. Available on Netflix.

5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

All input is welcome, although as the SUPREME CREATOR of this blog I may veto some comments. Have a FABULOUS day!